Dissenting Opinion

Cutting Edge.No-Non-Sense.Straightforward.Fearless.Just strictly Business...and Law by Spammer Di Hacker

Friday, September 28, 2007

The Bitter Pill

Law school is beyond compare; it takes more effort to be at par with what is expected and what turns out to be the outcome. While law school is not necessarily more difficult intellectually than college, the workload is substantially greater and the level of competency demanded by professors definitely higher. I know a great deal of students, especially those who enjoyed academic success in college, who presumed that law school is but a mere continuation of their undergrad experience. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Take for instance, professors saying vague Latin concepts and expect students to appreciate it with the same zest and gusto. When it indeed happened, I found myself thrown into the deep, murky waters of the Nile. Well, the difficulty doesn’t end there. Since everyone is just as excited as mustering their way through that most coveted title, the bar is raised a notch higher. That leaves me either to sink or swim. This is one of those rare instances that makes me wish that I was indeed a whale (not referring to my physique) to assure that I will definitely stay afloat.

What makes the law school experience interestingly unique is its method of instruction and its incomprehensible and arbitrary system of grading. Most professors rely on either the Socratic or the case method as a means for illustrating legal rules and doctrines in a particular area of law. To be certain, law professors hardly explain precisely what the rule of law is in a particular case or area, often either because: (1) it is impossible to do so or (2) they have a distorted idea of what law is. This leaves me to develop and organize my own version of cases decided by the Supreme Court with Piolo Pascual as petitioner and Jose de Venecia as “Yoda-slash-respondent” which of course tips the scale in favor of my petitioner (Piolo’s character varies depending on who wins the case). As I see it, achievement is measured by the terabytes that you have in order to store these voluminous information topped with skill at rapid analysis and articulation. And what better way is there than to add some spice and pizzaz with the cast of characters per each case for better retention. Talk about memory-work!

What makes it even more difficult is the fact that I have to juggle work with academics at the same time. Time management is, as I realized early on, a God-given talent which you hone all the more when you are enfaced with these awkward situations. I feel like a horse with that stuff that focuses its sight ahead; I just look forward giving no room to look elsewhere and leaving me focused on what I am suppose to be aiming in law school – hurdling and passing the bar.

Seeing things from the standpoint of a person who writes technical medical brochures, law school is but a bitter pill one has to swallow to pave the way to the bar and consequently earn the title, “ATTY.”. But what makes it great is the stark analogy that this bitter pill, indeed is the way to make you feel better. And so if it is what I have to do, then I’ll take it. As a dead-drop gorgeous law professor once said in class, “it is always better to swallow.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home